Friday, June 19, 2009

Cafe Colonial

Cafe Colonial's food is influenced by the areas that the chef has lived in and traveled through - especially the chef's hometown in Brazil, Porto Alegre, and travels through Europe, Hawaii, and the Caribbean.

The island influences were definitely apparent in the dishes we tried, like Cafe Colonial's Shrimp Squid Salad (with sesame oil, peppers, cilantro, onions and spices). To be honest, I wasn't really expecting much when I ordered this dish; I just wanted something light and not as expensive as the other entrees on the menu. But I was blown away. The first thing that impressed me was the large amount of squid they gave me. And the squid was unbelievably tender. But what was the topper was the melody of flavors in this dish - light, not tangy, not sweet, not too subtle, just perfect. I would love if the chef could share the ingredients of this sauce with us. This is the perfect, refreshing summer dish.


Brazilian Black Beans & Rice served with Kale and grilled heart of palm. If you're going to eat healthy, this is the way to do it.


And of course we had to have a Caipirinha and frozen pear Mojito with our meal.